Take this quiz before your next trip and gauge your “pickpocket-awareness”. Enjoy, and let us know your feedback via the comments!
1. You arrived in Rome last night and after a good night’s sleep, are eager to spend the day exploring. What do you do with your passport?
A. Stick in an inner pocket by itself and go!
B. Tuck it in your backpack along with camera, water and other essentials and go!
C. Conceal it among your suitcase contents and leave it at the hotel
D. Lock it in a safe at the hotel
2. You come to a beautiful part of old town and start snapping away with your camera. When done, you
A. Put the camera back in your backpack
B. Slip it into your pocket
C. Sling it around your neck or wrist and keep one hand on it at all times
D. Carry it in your hand
3. After a while you spot a charming outdoor cafe, and you sit down to enjoy a nice espressino. You “check-in” on your iPhone and
A. Keep it on the table and peruse the menu
B. Put it back in your pocket
C. Put it in your purse and sling the purse on the back of your chair
D. Put it in your purse and keep your purse in your lap
4. A small group of young social workers comes up to you requesting to take a look at their cause literature and asking for your support. You
A. See this as an opportunity to give
B. Like to do your due diligence and ask them a few questions to see if they’re legit
C. Don’t plan on giving them money but listen politely for a few minutes anyway
D. Say “no thank you” firmly and walk away before they can approach you
5. You enter a restaurant for a bite to eat. You
A. Keep your backpack by your feet
B. Hang it on the back of your chair
C. Keep it on a chair next to you
D. Keep it in your lap
6. You rent a car to enjoy the country for a few days. You make a quick pit stop before you leave town. You park the car and
A. Leave your iPhone, GPS and backpack with laptop in the car
B. Put valuables out of sight but leave them in the car
C. Take valuables with you
1. D. You will not need your passport outside of the airport. Unless you get into trouble and get arrested; even then local police will escort you to your hotel and you can retrieve it.
2. C. Cameras are easy targets, keep them close to your body. Also, download photos off your camera often!
3. D. Anywhere else, it’s gonna go.
4. D. Several such scams are designed to relieve tourists of valuables via a team effort.
5. D. Anywhere else, it’s gonna go.
6. C. A locked car is no deterrent for determined no-gooders, even in broad daylight. This is such a common problem in some European cities locals actually put up a sign in their cars informing potential robbers the car has nothing of value in it.